How are you? I’m back, feeling great and ready to start again with this awesome adventure.
So what happened the last year? To sum it up: I moved from Vienna to Amsterdam, I traveled a lot and I started to work as an independent consultant.
For personal reasons I felt unhappy and blue for a long time and one of the first things that suffered from this was Napkee itself: it was not generating enough cash flow to keep investing in it and more than everything else it was keeping my mind “connected” to those personal reasons. Terrible vicious circle.
I’m very and sincerely sorry for the fact the I didn’t update the product for a long time, disappeared from twitter and let you all down. It won’t happen again, I promise.
I started to feel good again a few weeks ago and automatically the initial feeling of seeing Napkee as a splendid adventure came back. I wrote code in every single free moment I had (sorry friends!) and I also wrote down on my whiteboard the roadmap to Napkee 2.0
So what’s included in this release?
New certificate (problems updating)
Every Adobe AIR application needs to be digitally signed to ensure that it’s original and it hasn’t been hacked and you can see that during the installation process:
I needed to update the certificate to change the published identity to “Napkee Labs” so when you try to update from the software or from the website you will have this message
or this one
The only way to solve the problem is to uninstall and reinstall Napkee.
How to uninstall Napkee:
- On Mac OS X: simply delete the “Napkee” file from your Applications directory
- On Windows: use “Add/Remove Programs” from your Control Panel and uninstall Napkee
- On Linux (Ubuntu): open System/Administration/”Synaptic Package Manager”, search button, type “napkee”, right click on it and select “Mark for Removal” (NOT the complete removal option) and Apply. Close the package manager and try installing the app again. You may have to launch it twice before it all goes back to normal.
Sorry for the inconvenience!
Unregister and custom code
I introduced an easy way to unregister Napkee. From the application menu just choose “Unregister Napkee”. Easy peasy!
There’s also a new setting on Settings > HTML settings called Custom code: you can write there any HTML code you want and it will be included on each page Napkee exports.
New icons, font color and other small things
Amongst the other features, Napkee can now export:
Arrows with multiline text
Rotated text (preliminary version, just available for the web exporter)
Font color modifiers
34 brand new icons
I hope you will enjoy this release and again, sorry for the past months.
Please keep coming with problems, questions and feature requests, I’m here to answer!
How can I update?
You have two ways to update Napkee:
- from the application itself, click on Check for updates
- online, from this page
You may encounter problems during the update process, see the beginning of this post.
A sneak peek of what’s gonna happen in the next months:
- the Flex exporter will let you choose between Flex 3 or Flex 4
- there will be a new SVG exporter
- Napkee 2.0 will include an exporting module editor: you will be able to change the exporting templates per single component!
I’m very excited about it and I can’t wait to start to work on this!
Talk to you soon!